Catching up

Here at Golden Bell, internet service is often slow at best, which makes doing a blog with pictures a lot harder than I’d like, hence the gap in postings for several weeks. Hope this one works!

We’ve had a lot going on in the last couple of weeks. On June 7, we left the RV in the park and drove the car back to Wichita for Bailey’s wedding. Since we planned a few days before the wedding activities, we were able to empty our storage unit and get those things moved into the garage at our new house. Most of the things were from the bus building at the Landing, so there wasn’t much to go into the house. Between the end of the garage and the street, there was a jungle that LeRoy needed to clear out so that we could get into the back yard with the trailer we bought to help move stuff. In the fall, we have agreed with a landscaper we have used before to take out the rest of the foliage and the fence. He will also put down asphalt millings to make a pad for the RV. There was enough wisteria growing by the patio that we thought there might be a metal arch above the gate!

Inside the house, we set up a platform bed frame with drawers underneath, similar to the waterbed platform we had for so many years. We bought a new 10″ memory foam mattress and now I need a step stool to get in bed! We were able to spend a couple of nights with our friends Johnny and Karen Schmidt before we got it all set up. We bought the frame from an individual and the slide hardware for the end drawers was missing, we’ve ordered those and will put them on in the fall when we get back.

There are two small closets in our bedroom, one in the guest bedroom and a coat closet in the living room. Each one has two rods with a shelf between (I can’t reach the top rod and LeRoy barely can) with an abundance of plastic hangers. Each rod was crammed! Heidi and I put them all on a clothes rack, but LeRoy was bored one evening and now they are color coded. Need a hanger?

We moved a metal cabinet into the utility room, so now I have a pantry just waiting for us to move in. That cabinet, along with many walls throughout the house, will need painting when we get back. We find ourselves randomly saying “When we get back, how would you feel about…?” There are so many little projects, it seems. The house came complete with a 47″ TV on the wall, stove, refrigerator, washer and dryer, and we added two recliners, in addition to the bed. We bought a microwave for $3 at a garage sale so we’re in business.

The big event took place on Saturday June 11, the day Bailey Pohlman became Bailey Martin and we gained a new grandson-in-law, Brett Martin.

We were looking forward to seeing almost all of our family that weekend, but son Robert tested positive for Covid a couple of days before, so he and Shelly had to cancel their reservations from Washington state. Avery wasn’t able to attend, either. We missed them. It’s been way too long since we had a good family picture, probably at Avery’s high school graduation 6 years ago, I think, and several were missing then. Everyone has grown up, babies have been born and so much has changed.

The three beauties on the right of the bride are Jadelyn, the maid of honor, and Jordan and Katie, bridesmaids. We are so proud of all our grandkids!

Rachel, our four-year-old great-granddaughter, was the flower girl and did at great job. Having small children in the wedding party can be risky, but it worked well. I know she isn’t the focus of this photo, but it’s sweet, anyway.

One of my favorite parts of the wedding festivities was getting to hold our youngest great-granddaughter, Sara. She was such a good girl, even though she got passed around a lot. Thanks, Marc and Jordan, for sharing!

We came back to cool Colorado just before the 100 degree temperatures hit in Kansas. We’ve settled back into the hosting duties here, even on our days off if circumstances require it. Friday evening after almost all the late arrivals were in, a huge fifth-wheel came through with an inexperienced driver and wedged the rear end of their trailer into the tree right in front of our RV. The host on duty came knocking to see if LeRoy would help. Power tools may have been involved!

The tree got the worst end of the deal, though. The RV can be repaired, but the tree will bear permanent scars.

Today, though, is our favorite day in the life of a camp host, Sunday! When we got home from church, the park was nearly empty, except for people who are staying a few extra days to a month at a time or all summer. Tomorrow we’re back on duty, but for today, we had a nice nap!

About 2010liberty

Retirement agrees with us! After traveling in our 40' Silver Eagle bus conversion, whose name was Liberty, since 2010, it was time for a change. Now we spend the winter in Yuma, AZ and travel during the spring, summer and fall setting the Pace!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s