No pictures

Really, no pictures, please! I’ve spent the last 4 nights in the hospital due to a bleeding gastric ulcer and gastritis and was not a pretty picture. Hospital gowns are not exactly stylish and being tethered to electronic monitors and multiple IVs is just…well, let me say, there was no good side.

I guess I should have started with our whereabouts. We left Quartzsite on Wednesday and I wasn’t feeling up to par then. LeRoy’s cousin Beverly Ward and her husband Brian Reeve from Juneau, AK were in Casa Grande and we stopped at their park to visit them. We first met Brian and reconnected with Beverly last winter before they were married so this was a nice time with them. We were able to go to dinner with them Thursday evening and I still didn’t have an inkling that anything serious was afoot, but Beverly very nicely made the suggestion that if I wasn’t feeling better on Friday, she thought I should see a doctor. Since we were moving on to Tucson Friday morning, we decided that would be a much preferable place to seek medical attention. We parked Liberty behind the Northwest Community Friends church, ate lunch and started making the circuit that led me to the hospital. Not having a primary care physician in the area makes finding care a little challenging!

Northwest Medical Center is a very busy hospital and I ended up there just about 5 o’clock on Friday afternoon, not a wonderful time to hit an emergency room. I was checked in, probed and poked and settled in an ER room within a couple of hours, still not feeling awful, just not good. LeRoy deferred dinner to stay with me and it was a good thing because that was where the first blood episode occurred. Messy stuff, blood. Requires housekeeping and everything! And I guess that was one of my first clues that something more serious than a bug was happening.

Since the hospital was basically full, I ended up in ICU at 3 a.m. just because that’s where available beds were, even though I wasn’t at Critical Care level. You appreciate the level of care more when you aren’t critically ill! Push the button, get immediate results. Excellent staff, great attitudes with very few minor exceptions.

I would have been home Sunday except for a little incident of vomiting a large amount of blood and what we’re calling an anxiety attack provoked by pain meds. I’d just as soon not do a repeat performance on that and I’m sure LeRoy would agree. At any rate, it was Monday before I got to eat anything other than jello and broth. Mashed potatoes have never tasted so good!

And now I’m back in Liberty, sleeping with my very own pillow in my very own bed and I wouldn’t have it any other way. We’ll be at Desert Trails RV Park tomorrow to stay until April. My cousin Andi Nations and her husband Scott from Wasilla, AK will meet us there and we are looking forward to showing them OUR Arizona.

Here’s hoping the next post will be more pleasant!

About 2010liberty

Retirement agrees with us! After traveling in our 40' Silver Eagle bus conversion, whose name was Liberty, since 2010, it was time for a change. Now we spend the winter in Yuma, AZ and travel during the spring, summer and fall setting the Pace!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to No pictures

  1. Oh my, serious stuff!! Did they have to transfuse you? So glad you are home now in your own bed. I wound up in Post ICU a few years ago in Casa Grande. Couldn’t ask for better care. But I was really glad to get home in my bed with my own pillow. Take care now,
    Betty and Joe

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s